Photo
- - - - -

Will not be on much anymore...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 El Dromedario

El Dromedario

8BitCamel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 03:42 PM

Saying goodbye (kind off)
Hello fellow 8bittians, I just want to announce that I will no longer be actively playing this game. I have played this game a lot during the past 3 years. With a lot of ups and down in activity. Sometimes I logged in every day, at other times I was away for months. But I always came back to the game. I have met some really cool people during that time. (And sometimes less cool people) It was fun playing with you guys and it was interesting to follow the blog and progress of 8bitmmo. 

The reason I decided to stop is because of a variety of reasons. Mainly because I have played this game for so long already and I don't have much time these days. But also a bit due to the lack of updates and the horribly outdated megamap (Almost 5 months!?!) 

I want to thank Robby for making such an awesome game. The game has made a lot of progress the last few years, although there is still a long way to go as well. You devoted so many years to this game. It's amazing to see how you could get motivated to work on it for so many years. I know this game isn't exactly popular and that it has gotten a lot of hate on steam. But I do hope it will get more popular once you add some awesome things to the game. I wish you all the luck and I hope you will have a lot of succes with March of Industry and any other game projects you might do in the future. (But don't forget 8bitMMO!)

I am not 100% gone though. I will pop up from time to time to check the game. Probably when I get reminded when Robby sends the seasonal newsletter.

Some history about me and 8bitMMO in general
This was supposed to be a short text but turned out rather lengthy. :S
I started somewhere in the summer of 2012 when the game came to Kongregate. I still remember my first days. I was a total noob back then, but thankfully Grim and Chaos were there to help me. I asked so many questions to Grim, I think he really enjoyed answering questions every minute ^_^ There was a really small playerbase but the people who were there were good company. 5 players online at the same time was a busy day. Meep started the exact same day as I did and he was a noob as well and was really cute back then :3

After a few weeks I was still pretty noob and I had no town yet. But I wanted to make something cool so I decided to make a dragon. There were not a lot of blocks but there was grass and that was close enough for a dragon. At that time there was only grass, dirt, cement, wood, carpet and roof tiles and that was about it. It was a prestigious project and it took me a couple of hours. I was content but I would have never thought it would become so well-known and eventually became the logo of the game. Sim9 was making a trailer video for his game and was looking for cool structures to edit in his video. I showed him the dragon and so history happend.

I still had no official town but I had a block storage with a crane. Yea, I liked to hoard blocks like Grim and Meep. On that topic, Grim had literally 10.000s of blocks in his inventory and the whole server lagged everytime he logged on. So Robby had to set the inventory limit from unlimited to 250. And set a region limit as well.

After a while I wanted to have a town because that was an awesome part of 8bitmmo. Back then kjh787 was already selling plat items for a good price so townstones were already available for free players. I was farming like crazy to get enough gold. At that time it was a real challenge to get gold. No spawners, only mobs were cats, they spawned in the air so you had to wait for them to come down, gave only 1 gold each and you had to walk over a coin to pick it up. A nuisance first but the ''wild coins'' have become extremely rare and valuable. Ok, so at a given time I had enough gold and managed to buy a townstone from aster11345. The map was like 95% empty so plenty of places to choose from. There were only a few big towns. From what I remember there was only Bastion by kjh787, the huge castle of Chaos and the town at the end of the map called Edge by Simmonds. Edge was the place to be. Oh, and there was the cute small town Coyoterion by SapphireCoyote.

I placed the townstone and called it Lunargenta and it was supossed to be a deserty town. My best citizens were MistFuror, adventurer and MetaDraco. The town has changed a lot over the years. Major parts have been removed, rebuild, there was a huge pyramid, I wiped the whole town, wanted to turn it into a dungeon and now it is a ghost town...

For a long time we thought the last wild grass block had been picked up months ago. But suddenly kjh787 found wild grass at the place we least expected. Right in the middle of the map, under the houses of Origin. Turned out that the very first players didn't bother picking up the grass when building houses on it. Words spread and not much later everyone was searching in and around Origin. During those days hundreds of wild grass blocks had been found. I got most of my wild grass this way. It was the wild grass rush of 2012.

Somewhere during these months 2 great players had to leave the game. Simmonds' PC was broken and had no money for a new one and Chaos had problems with schoolstuff so had to give up on 8bitMMO. Sad times.

In september 2012 there was a ''make something awesome contest''. There were 2 winners: Me and Obliquely. I made a digsite with a giant T-Rex fossil next to my town. Obliquely was the master of shadow art. Shame there was never another contest.

During the first months of 2013 not a lot had happend.  Robby had money issues and was no longer full-time indie developer. There were barely any updates. I was pretty inactive as well, inactive for months. But around May Robby became full-time indie again and he was producing updates like mad. The update rate was the highest 8bitMMO has ever had I think. Robby also started a project to let players build dungeons for the newly released dungeon mode and new mobs. I was assigned one but I never finished it, not sure what happend. Now there is a huge pixelart in that dungeon. Also, there was a mob called Blocktroll who was intended to be one of the new mobs. The images are there but the Blocktroll has never made it into the game. God knows what has happend between Robby and the Blocktrolls.

Meanwhile I had founded Thunder Moon which became my main town in favour of Lunargenta. I have spent most time building this town and the majority of all my blocks are in or around this town. Very first thing I made was the castle. At first it was very basic but it has been expanded and changed a lot over time. I also made the maple tree garden soon after. I invited citizens as well. I accepted a lot of new citizens and they could build in my town. Later I made a waterpark next to the town and for some reason reap3r119 really liked it. 

Then something terrible happend! Robby added the wildepad. It was an outright disaster. All new players took the wildepad and built their crappy houses/unfinised houses/piles of cement blocks everywhere! The way the wildepad works is that the players get teleported to the left first and then teleport further to the right if the area is full. So it was forming some sort of ''wall of doom'' that moved from the left of the map to the right. Currently 3/4 of the map has been clogged up with random junk. Only to the far right are areas big enough to build something new in it.

The game was released on Steam so there were a lot of new players. Some of them sticked to the game and it was good to see new players enjoying the game. One of those players was Sage, one of the best builders if not the best builder in 8bitMMO!

I was gone for months again when I suddenly decided to the check the game again somewhere in januari 2014. Funnily enough I logged in right when Robby was livestreaming a contest and so I was in a video again. ^_^ Thunder Moon was full with houses of inactive citizens so I decided to wipe most of them. I also started to do a revamp of the town. I made many changes to the town square, roads and the castle. I also tore down the maple garden as I needed space for the castle. For most of 2014 I was working on the revamp and expanding the town. Placed lots of grass and water around the town! I couldn't finish the top of the castle as I hit the region limit. During the time I was gone a lot of players placed random townstones around my town and later became inactive. So it had become diffucult to expand my my town. Luckily one of those players called potato_man9 was friendly enough to sell his town to me. (before he got perma-banned lol)

kjh787 gave me a crazy amount of money because he liked my structures and wanted me to build more. I mean like a really crazy amount: 1.250.000 in total! O.o But I wasn't as active anymore as I was in the past so I gave most of it back. He also gave me some region expands so I could finally finish the tower on my castle.

On Januari 2015 I made a really long and tall bridge and it took me a lot of time. Personally I think this is my best structure. (tied with the original dragon).

Since then I haven't been really active anymore. Only added something to Thunder Moon from time to time. Though, I finally rebuilt my dragon in my town :) The game was re-released on Steam in 2015. And so there were once more a lot of new players. Even though I wasn't really active I have still met a lot of nice people in 2015.

Well that was it, I hope you enjoyed reading this. I will still be around for some days to finish stuff and to give away plat items.

2hi4eg0.jpg  ev1jrq.jpg

#2 Jason354

Jason354

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 05:56 PM

Alright El, I'll hope we see you some time soon! Good luck!

#3 bumchin

bumchin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:19 PM

Well, it was fun playing with you :/ take care! :puppydog:

bumchin               furychin

[17:46] <@EightBitMMO> [GLOBAL] <bumchin> selling kidney's 1k each

[17:46] <@EightBitMMO> <Waldin> kidney0s?
                                 [17:47] <@EightBitMMO> <bumchin> The ones you harvest out of people >;D

#4 Gotmilk

Gotmilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:22 PM

baibai elly :o

#5 madman

madman

best master yi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2505 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 04:26 AM

bye elly :( ase will probably miss you the most :( and now who will build the dragons? o wait theres me kekekek

E13smaa.jpgcWYq9I1.png

#6 AlexINF

AlexINF

All the good things have an end.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:32 AM

Bye elD :( *cries

#7 ~Fury~

~Fury~

Sharks.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 04:25 PM

[insert ugly crying noises in the background.]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHYYYYY GOD WHY I JUST GOT TO KNOW ELLY MORE THEN SHE LEAVES ARGH.

[Ahem.]

We all will miss you elly. Be sure to know that and we all hope you come back someday, the legend of 8BitMMO. :)

You do you.

#8 CD87

CD87

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:22 PM

Saying goodbye (kind off)

One.....more.....grave.....in...... the....... 8bit............ graveyard   :sad:

Anyway, i hope to see you again.

Goodbye.....

5JAvWIK.png    64x64_Bloodshed_20ks_badge.png

Name: CD87

Birthday: Unknown

Favorite item: KEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Special ability: Can troll anyone, even Sim9

Gold count: Well, i'm poor :(

#9 Sage

Sage

. . .

• Moderators
  • 462 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:27 PM

The game was released on Steam so there were a lot of new players. Some of them sticked to the game and it was good to see new players enjoying the game. One of those players was Sage, one of the best builders if not the best builder in 8bitMMO!

Actually I joined a few months before the Steam launch, but just by random chance it happened soon afterwards. Found the game randomly on a video game website (because the game had a number as the first letter it was right at the top alphabetically), and I never really played video games before that. Thought I'd give it a try lol. But I can see why you'd think I did (a LOT of the active players did).

...one of the best builders if not the best builder in 8bitMMO!

Aww thank you Elly/LED. But I still think you and Lightning Sun/Thunder Moon are the best! Come back and see us soon!

...the horribly outdated megamap (Almost 5 months!?!)

I cry everytime.

Still doing the hand thing.

#DankClan

#10 AlexINF

AlexINF

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:19 AM

Actually I joined a few months before the Steam launch, but just by random chance it happened soon afterwards. Found the game randomly on a video game website (because the game had a number as the first letter it was right at the top alphabetically), and I never really played video games before that. Thought I'd give it a try lol. But I can see why you'd think I did (a LOT of the active players did).

Aww thank you Elly/LED. But I still think you and Lightning Sun/Thunder Moon are the best! Come back and see us soon!

I cry everytime.

IGN Review 12/10

#11 Xerp

Xerp

"Water" abuser

• Moderators
  • 198 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:46 AM

=(

1349379032172.gif

#12 TheGreatOnion

TheGreatOnion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:37 AM

As a newcomer to the game, I've always found pleasure in reviewing the past works of older players. I can confidently say that nothing influenced me more than the construction of your designs. The concave roofing on the thunder moon pagoda served as an inspiration for future roof constructions on various shrines I've made for these past months. The glass/snow color scheme of the roads at Thunder Moon served as an inspiration for the sapphire/snow roads encompassing the plots at the East RS Base. When kjh mentioned that you originally thought up of creating an entrance to Castle Origin reminiscent of the Reims Cathedral, I was inspired to accomplish it on my own. My current construction at Thunder Moon will take a while and I've been busy with multiple construction projects in-game but when it's done, I'll make sure it will reflect the years of work and dedication you put into this game. Because as a builder, nothing really shows more appreciation for another's progress than the advancement of your own.

Thank you Eld. I only hope to contribute to the game for even a fraction of the amount you have. 

P.S. I'm attaching a photo of the castle gate I finished, just to save you the trouble of going there in person; the lag is horrendous. 

==> http://imgur.com/FqF3Ubj

#13 The Blood Rose Alchemist

The Blood Rose Alchemist

Platinum Extraction Manufacuture Corporation C.E.O

• Members
  • -998558 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:08 AM

As a newcomer to the game, I've always found pleasure in reviewing the past works of older players. I can confidently say that nothing influenced me more than the construction of your designs. The concave roofing on the thunder moon pagoda served as an inspiration for future roof constructions on various shrines I've made for these past months. The glass/snow color scheme of the roads at Thunder Moon served as an inspiration for the sapphire/snow roads encompassing the plots at the East RS Base. When kjh mentioned that you originally thought up of creating an entrance to Castle Origin reminiscent of the Reims Cathedral, I was inspired to accomplish it on my own. My current construction at Thunder Moon will take a while and I've been busy with multiple construction projects in-game but when it's done, I'll make sure it will reflect the years of work and dedication you put into this game. Because as a builder, nothing really shows more appreciation for another's progress than the advancement of your own.

Thank you Eld. I only hope to contribute to the game for even a fraction of the amount you have. 

P.S. I'm attaching a photo of the castle gate I finished, just to save you the trouble of going there in person; the lag is horrendous. 

==> http://imgur.com/FqF3Ubj

How wonderful, meaningful and beautiful this wall of text was. This is what gamers should be. People who look up at previous players and to be inspired by them. Well done Onion.

200.gifThe epic up rise of the Hidden Creed is here. Join now.stickfight_editada__by_PCR2.gif

#14 Kralereth

Kralereth

The Emerald Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1277 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:31 PM

Also if someone could message ElD through steam (assuming she has steam) that the map is updating that'd be great.
Star (I think it was Star) messaged her through the forums a while ago and there's been no luck with that obviously.
FqAuPvV.jpgew5x0uL.png
"I'm just here to watch people die" -TheGreatOnion
"MY SIGT KEY BKORK" -Po2005
"could I end a helping hand?" -Ankos

#15 Mememaster_Ramos

Mememaster_Ramos

Cowboy pumpkin with pink shirt

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:30 AM

Why i never noticed this thread before? D: this explains why i did not see El Dromedario lately...

#16 AlexINF

AlexINF

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:32 PM

On Januari 2015 I made a really long and tall bridge and it took me a lot of time. Personally I think this is my best structure. (tied with the original dragon).

Wait what?

Januari - ElD 2015

#17 ~Fury~

~Fury~

Sharks.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:47 AM

Wait what?

Januari - ElD 2015

Fanciest way to spell January, 2k16. <3

You do you.