Photo
- - - - -

Swearing, mutes, and general.

mods mutes swearing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 The Blood Rose Alchemist

The Blood Rose Alchemist

Platinum Extraction Manufacuture Corporation C.E.O

• Members
  • -998558 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:55 AM

I'm not gonna quote due to a long post but can people say Gay as in happy? Like:

'It's good to be gay'.

I'm not saying it's not guaranteed you will not be called out by that somebody but jussst Sayain.

About mutes, maybe we need some way of telling others about somebody being muted and say don't tell them but the message isn't sent to the muted player. Just my thoughts.

200.gifThe epic up rise of the Hidden Creed is here. Join now.stickfight_editada__by_PCR2.gif

#2 Zooty

Zooty

princess zooty, a stone cold gangsta

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:57 AM

"Something you wouldn't hear on the radio.". 

im no xpert on this but i thought it was fine to swear on the radio

rrqlql.png

#3 The Blood Rose Alchemist

The Blood Rose Alchemist

Platinum Extraction Manufacuture Corporation C.E.O

• Members
  • -998558 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:23 AM

Me too, just usually its was just *beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep* a.k.a censored. We need a censor system like Clash of Clans for chat.... or let mods have a new command called /insult [name]! What does it do you ask? It replaces all swear words with irrelavent things! F--- =Food S---= Soup C---= cool D---= Dead 

Just something of thought. again.

200.gifThe epic up rise of the Hidden Creed is here. Join now.stickfight_editada__by_PCR2.gif

#4 Kralereth

Kralereth

The Emerald Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1277 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:52 PM

We need a censor system like Clash of Clans for chat.

Just don't censor kill, or hitler, or arrested
FqAuPvV.jpgew5x0uL.png
"I'm just here to watch people die" -TheGreatOnion
"MY SIGT KEY BKORK" -Po2005
"could I end a helping hand?" -Ankos

#5 Zooty

Zooty

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:13 PM

Maybe there could be a filter that swaps words for funny equivalents (like gmtower) but we should be able to toggle the filter in the options menu.

rrqlql.png

#6 SneakySneakers

SneakySneakers

COOL MASTER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1552 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:41 PM

By the way, can mods read muted people's messages?

We need a censor system like Clash of Clans for chat.... 

Like Kralereth said:

Just don't censor kill, or hitler, or arrested

100% this, the 'never say die' crap should not apply to chat (if you want your singleplayer game to not refer a character hitting 0 hp as dying, that's their choice). And should they really censor names? I mean, if you censor Hitler, you might as well censor other people's names who were responsible for millions of deaths like Stalin, Mao, Himmler and Goering or religious names like Jesus and Allah, but honestly, those who get offended by people using these names in a normal context are even worse than people that censor heck. NOTE: I am saying that you shouldn't censor names because their 'bearer' was infamous.

76561198089099494.png 46XWJMu.gif

#7 Zooty

Zooty

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:42 PM

By the way, can mods read muted people's messages?

Anyone in gamewatch can

rrqlql.png

#8 Sage

Sage

. . .

• Moderators
  • 462 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:56 PM

There have been times when players who happen to use IRC, will go in game and say the player is muted

This. So much this. You have no idea how many times that has caused MORE trouble. Ugh.

Still doing the hand thing.

#DankClan

#9 Value

Value

rich and glassy

• Moderators
  • 255 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:21 PM

3. Telling mutes they're moot.

I personally don't like to. If a player is cursing a storm, telling them they're muted can fuel a rampage. I think its enough closure when I say "if you swear you'll be muted" to a player, or when others in game say that. There have been times when players who happen to use IRC, will go in game and say the player is muted, and that player will come into IRC and complain to one of us and beg to be unmuted. Sometime cussing us out, or resolving a misunderstanding (which we usually will pick up on anyway). For the sake of the mods, if we mute a player don't tell them. Many times when we mute a player, say if they're swearing because they're mad or whatever, they'll end up calming down and go back to being regular and we'll unmute them. When players tell the guy they're muted they can start freaking out and make things worse.

4. Talking to moot via IRC to in game switching.

This should speak for itself. Don't do this. If a player is muted, don't use IRC to go back and forth to talk to the person. There is a reason he is muted and this essentially voids the mute when you can talk to them and vice verse because of IRC. What will happen if you do this? You'll most likely be kicked from IRC, maybe without warning. I'm sorry if you were in the middle of a trade with the player when he was muted for having pirate language, but please don't use IRC in that way.

This. So much this. You have no idea how many times that has caused MORE trouble. Ugh.

Points 3 and 4 cause more harm than good like Kyro and Sage said...

In the end it will lead to more hardmutes which means the player has no chance of an unmute/appeal until the following day. I have highlighted Kyro's points in 3 & 4 which basically sums up how I feel about it all. This will help you avoid getting into trouble when someone else is muted...

#10 madman

madman

best master yi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2505 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:55 PM

Points 3 and 4 cause more harm than good like Kyro and Sage said...

In the end it will lead to more hardmutes which means the player has no chance of an unmute/appeal until the following day. I have highlighted Kyro's points in 3 & 4 which basically sums up how I feel about it all. This will help you avoid getting into trouble when someone else is muted...

but dont the mods normally do point 3?

just change it to something you would get in trouble for saying in front of a preschool teacher.

and yeah we do need a chat filter but people would always find loopholes past those e.g **** is censored in chat so they do * * * * (which wouldn't be censored) or do all sorts of things like *,*,*,* etc. so mutes are still needed and i think the current mute system is fine, if filter was added and someone went rage and started cussing even if it was censored the spam would probably do more dmg then the cuss words, so basically i think mutes are more important then the chat filter :P

E13smaa.jpgcWYq9I1.png

#11 Value

Value

rich and glassy

• Moderators
  • 255 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:43 PM

but dont the mods normally do point 3?

9 times out of 10 I would tell someone I've muted them but not all cases as it causes more trouble. Like Kyro said if they're causing a storm its usually better to just leave them to calm down, however they may still be warned.

#12 Mememaster_Ramos

Mememaster_Ramos

Cowboy pumpkin with pink shirt

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:51 AM

"tell someone is muted" ohh... i see ye' are mad at me.

#13 SneakySneakers

SneakySneakers

COOL MASTER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1552 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:43 AM

But, I do agree it would be good to have an auto filter in game, that would give the player a warning.

Didn't someone try to do that with a bot but ruined IRC instead?

76561198089099494.png 46XWJMu.gif

#14 Zooty

Zooty

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:44 PM

Didn't someone try to do that with a bot but ruined IRC instead?

DoggyBot went mad and banned everyone.

rrqlql.png

#15 diamond655

diamond655

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:16 PM

I agree with this post so much.

#16 Zooty

Zooty

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:21 PM

I agree with this post so much.

So click the like button instead of making useless posts.

rrqlql.png

#17 Kralereth

Kralereth

The Emerald Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1277 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 07:55 PM

Needed bump because this needs to get back to the top, actually what it needs is to be pinned

Prepare for Necro hate in 3... 2... 1...
FqAuPvV.jpgew5x0uL.png
"I'm just here to watch people die" -TheGreatOnion
"MY SIGT KEY BKORK" -Po2005
"could I end a helping hand?" -Ankos