Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Won't work on Linux? Heres how to fix that

Linux Debian Steam

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 AuToFiRE

AuToFiRE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:23 PM

This is a simple guide on how to get 8BitMMO working for Debian based Linux Distros (Ubuntu, Linux Mint, etc)

The main issue with this is that it requires a 32-bit or i386 version to run properly. In Linux, this is very simple to fix even when running a 64-bit Distro.

The first thing you will notice if you are experiencing troubles and need to use this  fix is if Steam continually fails to verify the files downloaded and the game will refuse to start.

This fix simply asks Linux to download the proper files required to run by using the "apt-get" command in a Terminal window.

First things first, we will need the Java Development Kit 7 and several other random files, which are more than likely included in the JDK, but for the sake of being ABSOLUTELY sure, we will be redundant and specify those files as well(Which should make this post easier to find for future googlers). Do not worry, you do not need to search the endless seas of the web for this, simply copy and paste this into a Terminal window.

sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jdk libgtk2.0-0:i386 libnss3:i386 libcurl3-gnutls:i386 libidn11:i386 libpango1.0-0:i386 libpangox-1.0-0:i386 libpangoxft-1.0-0:i386 librtmp0:i386 libxft2:i386 libxtst6:i386 gtk2-engines-pixbuf:i386 gtk2-engines-murrine:i386 libxslt1.1:i386

After pressing enter, you will be prompted to enter your password since we are using sudo

The breakdown:

What we are doing is installing a bunch of library files, the open source version of the Java Development Kit and 2 GTK2 engines, pixbuf and murrine, all in the i386 format.

After these files have downloaded and automatically installed, simply get Steam to verify the integrity of the game cache. After it has finished checking and downloading any files it may need, simply start the game and enjoy!

Note: I will be adding a simple step by step guide later on for replacing the open source JDK with the non-free(aka evil) Sun JRE/JDK packages as recommended by RobbyZ. This step will be completely optional and only required if you are experiencing issues with the open source version.

ELphjkT.png

If you still cannot get it to start, please post the log file (8bitmmoLog.txt)  located at /home/<<Your username>>/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/8BitMMO

NpPGN4H.gif

#2 Zooty

Zooty

princess zooty, a stone cold gangsta

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:49 PM

For Arch Linux we can download the JRE/JDK from the AUR with yaourt or pacaur

pacaur -S jre7

Or if you don't want proprietary/freedom denying software on your box you can get it from the official repos

sudo pacman -S jre-7-openjdk

rrqlql.png

#3 AuToFiRE

AuToFiRE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:32 PM

For Arch Linux we can download the JRE/JDK from the AUR with yaourt or pacaur

pacaur -S jre7

Or if you don't want proprietary/freedom denying software on your box you can get it from the official repos

sudo pacman -S jre-7-openjdk

Thanks for filling in Arch. I basically only run RHEL or Debian lol

NpPGN4H.gif

#4 RobbyZ

RobbyZ

Administrator

• Developer
  • 1331 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:38 PM

Good guide!  But I highly recommend using Sun JRE, because I've noticed performance and random crash issues in the other JREs.  Your mileage may vary though :)

#5 Zooty

Zooty

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:55 PM

Good guide!  But I highly recommend using Sun JRE, because I've noticed performance and random crash issues in the other JREs.  Your mileage may vary though :)

I couldn't get it [the web version] to work at all using the iced-tea plugin.

rrqlql.png

#6 AuToFiRE

AuToFiRE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:55 PM

Only crash Ive had so far with 8BitMMO is due to a heat issue because I haven't set up automatic fan control, which is a bit of a pain in the posterior for us Thinkpad users. lol

But yes, Ill edit and add the closed source command as optional lol

Glad you approve though lol

NpPGN4H.gif

#7 Zooty

Zooty

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:58 PM

Only crash Ive had so far with 8BitMMO is due to a heat issue because I haven't set up automatic fan control, which is a bit of a pain in the posterior for us Thinkpad users. lol

But yes, Ill edit and add the closed source command as optional lol

Glad you approve though lol

>Linux

>Thinkpad

/g/

rrqlql.png

#8 AuToFiRE

AuToFiRE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts