Photo
- - - - -

A full analasys of the possibility of non purchasable plat.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 SneakySneakers

SneakySneakers

COOL MASTER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1552 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

It was been widely suggested and declined for Robby to make a way to get plat other than purchasing. But te suggestions are always done bluntly, so letme make a much more subtle one. So here is my analasys on the possibilities of 'free plat':

The much requested and declined way of a really rare plat drop: This will simply not go with. It either becomes too much of a revenue drain or a hassle.

'Watch this trailer and recieve X plat': If they offer raw plat, this will also be debatable, so we must make it in 'plat shards'. X plat shards would combine to 1 plat. This won't drain as much revenue because of the adversisement revenue Robby makes with it. If done in plat (shards), this would be a possibility.

'Complete this offer and get X free plat (shards)' This contains downloading other games and Robby gets ad revenue. But this WOULD require a mobile version of 8bitmmo because it's almost exclusively used on IOS.

What are other ways that might pull through?

76561198089099494.png 46XWJMu.gif

#2 AlexINF

AlexINF

All the good things have an end.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:00 PM

I don't like this. The plat is EXCLUSIVE, so if this is implemented everybody will get a super ridicoulus hat. Or 998432902743569437587643945634658736547364564359 publicpads and towns.

#3 SneakySneakers

SneakySneakers

COOL MASTER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1552 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:36 PM

I don't like this. The plat is EXCLUSIVE, so if this is implemented everybody will get a super ridicoulus hat. Or 998432902743569437587643945634658736547364564359 publicpads and towns.

Thats why i want to make it pretty hard/long to get. And what's wrong with raising the townstone price?

#4 Zooty

Zooty

princess zooty, a stone cold gangsta

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:00 PM

Plat is meant to be special.

rrqlql.png

#5 BetaRuler

BetaRuler

is made of pink text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:09 PM

^ So is Link but he aint expensive *deserves to be murdered for that horrible joke*

I sometimes wish there was just alternative ways of acquiring your own plat items, but only the kind of ones you would want for decorating dungeons or towns. Like spawners, spikes, keys + doors, safes and TV's. Because since they cost plat, there is no way for free playing players to build their own dungeons, adventures nor does anyone get creative at all with their "houses", they just all look the same, and then every town seems to follow this SAME uniform pattern too... Like the game world is huge, but there's just too much quantity over quality... I dunno it's a hard thing to balance but hopefully in time Sim will hone his own way of doing things in a way that is more creative than what we will come up with...

:beta: Providing you an unnecessary dose of nonsense anytime! :beta:

#6 SneakySneakers

SneakySneakers

COOL MASTER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1552 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:38 PM

^ So is Link but he aint expensive *deserves to be murdered for that horrible joke*

I sometimes wish there was just alternative ways of acquiring your own plat items, but only the kind of ones you would want for decorating dungeons or towns. Like spawners, spikes, keys + doors, safes and TV's. Because since they cost plat, there is no way for free playing players to build their own dungeons, adventures nor does anyone get creative at all with their "houses", they just all look the same, and then every town seems to follow this SAME uniform pattern too... Like the game world is huge, but there's just too much quantity over quality... I dunno it's a hard thing to balance but hopefully in time Sim will hone his own way of doing things in a way that is more creative than what we will come up with...

I am a plat buyer and i agree.

#7 Zooty

Zooty

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:22 PM

What if, and hear me out, every once in a while there is a random plat item dropped into the map. A message comes over chat / and the sound / saying PLAT DROP AT x,x, =65. And players rush to that spot to fight for the plat item? It could be anything from the platscreen TV to a lobbyist slug or whatever.

I like this idea. Maybe it could happen every 3 hours?

rrqlql.png

#8 Sage

Sage

. . .

• Moderators
  • 462 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:31 PM

What I think BetaRuler is trying to say is that instead of making either a town that serves no purpose (in the long run) other than to fill up all the plots and then fade into history (the eventual fate of all 'plot-type' towns), is to give even the regular player a little bit of 'toys to play with' to give their town and/or home some functionality even AFTER it's built. It's no secret that on a daily basis we see new players ask 'okay, I built a house, now what do I do?'. The obvious answer is to build something else, however that answer isn't always good enough for them. 'What about the house I just built?' they think, 'so it's just gonna sit there?'. And they actually do have a point. To be more specific, the 'class-system' in 8bitmmo is slightly unbalanced to a fault. By fault I mean that it may even be holding Sim's plat sales back slightly by using the current system.

Using plat for more aesthetic reasons instead of functional reasons is the way to go. I liked what Sim did by making an Old TV and a Modern TV. One that costs gold, and one that costs plat. Look what it did. It made A LOT of people suddenly hold something oft-ignored (household goods) at a higher value. This system should be used for everything except weapons (however the weapons could have a re-skin that costs plat. Some of the texture pack swords look great.). Why not a fancier bed that's 1p? A fancier table/stool set? A desktop computer? Etc, etc. Makes buying Plat feel more like a choice than a need. And that's how it should feel. Certain items that currently cost Plat should really cost Gold. Stuff like Lawyercat/Slug Spawners ('low-tier' Plat items people with Plat hardly purchase anyway). Then there's things that are just too useful to be Plat items, like the safe. Shouldn't have to purchase plat just to get your gold evened out for trading, you know? Of course fixing that with a new command is an option as well. Denying every type of a certain item, like all the dungeon stuff, from free players isn't going to give them that 'I like this, so I bet i'd like that one even more' feeling you get from trying something out. But giving them everything isn't good either. Gotta find that perfect balance, which I feel hasn't been found quite yet. Alas, at the end of the day, the way things are right now seem to be working well enough to keep the lights on. And for that I am thankful.

Still doing the hand thing.

#DankClan

#9 SneakySneakers

SneakySneakers

COOL MASTER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1552 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:32 PM

What I think BetaRuler is trying to say is that instead of making either a town that serves no purpose (in the long run) other than to fill up all the plots and then fade into history (the eventual fate of all 'plot-type' towns), is to give even the regular player a little bit of 'toys to play with' to give their town and/or home some functionality even AFTER it's built. It's no secret that on a daily basis we see new players ask 'okay, I built a house, now what do I do?'. The obvious answer is to build something else, however that answer isn't always good enough for them. 'What about the house I just built?' they think, 'so it's just gonna sit there?'. And they actually do have a point. To be more specific, the 'class-system' in 8bitmmo is slightly unbalanced to a fault. By fault I mean that it may even be holding Sim's plat sales back slightly by using the current system.

Using plat for more aesthetic reasons instead of functional reasons is the way to go. I liked what Sim did by making an Old TV and a Modern TV. One that costs gold, and one that costs plat. Look what it did. It made A LOT of people suddenly hold something oft-ignored (household goods) at a higher value. This system should be used for everything except weapons (however the weapons could have a re-skin that costs plat. Some of the texture pack swords look great.). Why not a fancier bed that's 1p? A fancier table/stool set? A desktop computer? Etc, etc. Makes buying Plat feel more like a choice than a need. And that's how it should feel. Certain items that currently cost Plat should really cost Gold. Stuff like Lawyercat/Slug Spawners ('low-tier' Plat items people with Plat hardly purchase anyway). Then there's things that are just too useful to be Plat items, like the safe. Shouldn't have to purchase plat just to get your gold evened out for trading, you know? Of course fixing that with a new command is an option as well. Denying every type of a certain item, like all the dungeon stuff, from free players isn't going to give them that 'I like this, so I bet i'd like that one even more' feeling you get from trying something out. But giving them everything isn't good either. Gotta find that perfect balance, which I feel hasn't been found quite yet. Alas, at the end of the day, the way things are right now seem to be working well enough to keep the lights on. And for that I am thankful.

There is one thing you have right now Sage, and that, is a POINT... and an upvote.

#10 Zooty

Zooty

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:53 PM

Gold safe costs gold, plat safes cost plat.

But if we had plat safes people could trade plat.

rrqlql.png

#11 BetaRuler

BetaRuler

is made of pink text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:16 PM

That's really good Sage, it's not quite the direction my mind was spinning around at the time... It's better! The idea feels quite good too around the sense of personalizing and customizing your space (and identity i guess) better, it reminds me of how this game HAS the fancy hat and suit (STILL NEEDS A MONOCLE), now so far as I've known only Sim wears both, and a FEW of us have either the hat (I do!) or the suit. Makes it easier to recognise us when we are seen.

... ok I just forgot where that point was going! LET ME TRY AGAIN (alcohol you've made me look so foolish again!)...

*40 minutes of editing later*

OK! I think it would be cool if our "homes" even, could get more added to them that would make them worth revisiting say, I don't think I've got any "good" ideas but heres a few random words that might spark better ideas -
"letter box" - collect mail from players asking you to get rid of your garbage.
"beds heal you" - sit on them, screen goes black into dream sequence, and then reopens with your health full again?
"pets" - sit on them, screen goes -oh wait... ok, give them coffee, neighbour calls rspca (mod) who bans you from playing 8 bit mmo

Otherwise, another train of thought, what if Robby was to allow certain quests to give rewards, such as the official dungeons, complete it, get a prize item, like I dunno,,, maybe a monocle I SPOSE.

#12 Choloy123

Choloy123

Coolest new member title on the block.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:19 PM

They're right.... Very right.... we need more interaction items... Like lamps, bulbs, Switches that open doors(or the roof maybe for a sky light) Maybe a chandelier (gunna like it, need it for mansions) LOVE the mailbox/letter box... This game suddenly becomes boring and some ppl want RAW plat but theres no way to get it... Plat + safe = plat trading = WIN WIN Too much points...

#13 SneakySneakers

SneakySneakers

COOL MASTER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1552 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:48 PM

They're right.... Very right.... we need more interaction items... Like lamps, bulbs, Switches that open doors(or the roof maybe for a sky light) Maybe a chandelier (gunna like it, need it for mansions) LOVE the mailbox/letter box... This game suddenly becomes boring and some ppl want RAW plat but theres no way to get it... Plat + safe = plat trading = WIN WIN Too much points...

Correction: we need more interactive items that cost gold and more asthetic items that cost plat.

#14 RobbyZ

RobbyZ

Administrator

• Developer
  • 1331 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:18 AM

It's entirely plausible for me to add plat trading in future (probably a plat icon you can drag into trade window, similar to how you can drag the gold icon in)

Plat safe is a good idea too, keep people from accidentally spending plat.

#15 Value

Value

rich and glassy

• Moderators
  • 255 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:04 PM

I think plat should always be a pay for currency but yeah allow it to be traded like what sim said. But how about rewarding players who stay a long time playing this game. For example how about a small reward each year to keep your existing player base happy. Members who have played for a long time and maybe logged in 365 times on different calendar days should be given a small amount of plat.

#16 SneakySneakers

SneakySneakers

COOL MASTER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1552 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:38 PM

I think plat should always be a pay for currency but yeah allow it to be traded like what sim said. But how about rewarding players who stay a long time playing this game. For example how about a small reward each year to keep your existing player base happy. Members who have played for a long time and maybe logged in 365 times on different calendar days should be given a small amount of plat.

You DO realise you contradicted yourself right? It's a good idea but you just put yourself checkmate.

#17 Choloy123

Choloy123

Coolest new member title on the block.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:39 PM

You DO realise you contradicted yourself right? It's a good idea but you just put yourself checkmate.

Right....

BTW Sim... Can you like um... Put a gold value for a few plat items like the Modern Tvs could cost 1p and beside it a Modern Tv that cost gold... like um... Let's say... 1000 gold.

Some may think this is crazy but this is actually a good idea. So if no one is online with plat we could buy a plat item in gold value.

#18 BetaRuler

BetaRuler

is made of pink text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:26 AM

Could eventually decide on the "NEXT LEVEL" too, I don't see a reason why not to start getting into level 7. That was a cool "novelty" of the first month playing 8 bit, levelling up which then let you buy more new items.

#19 BetaRuler

BetaRuler

is made of pink text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:13 PM

Expanding around the idea of a level 7, what if a FEW of the plat items became available for gold at higher levels? But yeah, only simple things perhaps such as hippy spawners or spikes. Of course while putting insane gold prices on it so you aint going to buy many of them quick and easily anyway, and it'd require a lot of farming to break even with the gold cost.