Photo
- - - - -

A bug, a mistake, and a compliment.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 obliquely

obliquely

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:55 AM

(I don't want to start multiple threads if they don't start much discussion.)

I understand that a new engine is in the works, but if it's going to be a while, there are a couple of things that should be fixed now.

Bug: Auto-placement and pick-up target Y-clipped (unseen) blocks.
Example: Place one block at Z=0 and another in exact line of sight at Z=32 (or any greater multiple of 16), then walk upscreen until the top one disappears. If you try to pick-up the visible lower block, the unseen higher one is removed instead.
Having experienced how much damage this can do, and how difficult it is to fix, I rank this as high priority.
Note: Z-clipping doesn't have this problem, so using overhead blocks is a partial, if extremely awkward, workaround.

Mistake: It seems obvious to me that the hotkeys for take, place, and inventory should be in the same hand position.
I actually remap my keyboard, "e" <--> "i", while playing.
(It's convenient that the movement keys remain nearby though, as long as running up and down the screen is required to build at higher elevations)
On the topic of hotkeys, I also think the teleport needs a separate action key from signs and doors.

Compliment: Something that might have gone unnoticed and unremarked. The character movement is really good.
Because it's not possible to fully see 3D structures in this game, the player must rely on "physical" interactions through the character's movement, and I have found the feedback from this to be very clear and reliable. But at the same time, we want to move smoothly and easily around obstacles without catching and jerking at every edge, which I have also found to be so.
It has "good handling."

Also, the character graphic is classy.

#2 RobbyZ

RobbyZ

Administrator

• Developer
  • 1331 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

Thanks, those are some good points

I am planning to start back up on new engine development today, so hopefully it won't be super long until beta :)