Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

8bitmmo Petition

8bitmmo Petition Sign Here sim9 Updates

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#21 nascarlaser1

nascarlaser1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:01 PM

No disrespect/offence meant Sim9, and if I some how achieve one of the two, I am deeply sorry, but I have something to say. Even if new updates won't increase the player count, it will keep it from decreasing. More and more veterans are leaving out of boredom. While new players may not join no matter what updates happen, people will also stop leaving the game. 

That is what I have to say, thanks for reading.

p.s. if I offended you or did anything that was disrespectful, please tell me so I can make sure to not do it again. I am sorry to anyone who does not like the above statement, it is just my opinion.

"I love mankind... its people I can't stand!"

-Linus from snoopy.

#22 AlexINF

AlexINF

All the good things have an end.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 10:49 PM

I'm also out. I'm sick to death of this topic and of this...

Bah, I'll say it, whatever. I don't care if I am banned anyway.

I'm sick to death of this developer.

Don't post messages from banned trolls, please.  Despite how much they think of themselves, they've actually had zero effect one way or another on the game's activity.  Even I haven't had an impact on game activity, lol.  Active players per day follows a mathematical curve ever since launch, and no amount of updates has significantly affected that.

Nobody cares now. You've converted this masterpiece into a piece of crap. Literally.

I don't know how you can be so calm when people have paid you loads of money for putting an effort to this game, and you just throw shit to the community.

Okay, that's it, that's going to be my last comment, because I'm going to be banned anyway. I don't know why, because all the people talking here are saying the same. Ban everyone! I dare you to do so. In your next game, all the community you betrayed will be present there, but not to play, but to throw shit, just like you did.

Well, they won't even be there. They have better things to do than talking with you.

Who is with me?

Also, haha, look at this. You won't survive more than 2 weeks in steam with these ratings. Be prepared, """developer""".

tivK5L4.png

#23 Terrarian

Terrarian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 06:28 PM

Allow me to sum up everything in one sentence.

Sim9 has failed.

He failed to gain new player base.
He failed to keep veterans.
He failed to keep the game updated.
He failed to update the map.
He failed to even keep the support of those who liked the game that once was.

He claims to have a new project. We can only hope he does not fail again in the same ways.

bOJpS3V.gif

"If it doesn't work, try again.

If it still doesn't work, try a different way or work on a different idea.

When you solve the original problem in the different project, apply, test, and improve."

~ Me on how to succeed. Whether it be in programming, math, or life.

#24 Terrarian

Terrarian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 03:38 AM

He does change, though not for the better so far.
(At least not better for his community)

bOJpS3V.gif

"If it doesn't work, try again.

If it still doesn't work, try a different way or work on a different idea.

When you solve the original problem in the different project, apply, test, and improve."

~ Me on how to succeed. Whether it be in programming, math, or life.

#25 Pika

Pika

God of Deception

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 02:19 PM

As someone who has been here the longest, I agree with sim, updates do not lead to increased players. This mathematical curve that sim is talking about is probably right as well. As the years went on players kept increasing and then it peaked during the steam release and it kept going back down to where it is now. The way to grow a game is publicity which is what this game will probably never get.

#26 Morriganna

Morriganna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 06:53 PM

Well it's time for me to step into this petty argument and say a few words. This demon had wonderful memories made in 8bitmmo, but alas the stubborn dev ruined his plans for 8bit domination. Sim9 says don't feed the trolls when he himself is the biggest troll of 8bit. Yes he can ban us all with the push of a button. Except when some one says something that he doesn't like he bans them, he can't handle the truth. 8bit was made by the biggest troll ever. How does it feel to put over a decades worth of work into a game and then see it crash into a thousand splinters around you. This game has reached across the globe, created friendships, and... proven to the world that you Robby Zinchak, are the King of the internet trolls.

Love and Insanity, From Sunset

#27 RobbyZ

RobbyZ

Administrator

• Developer
  • 1331 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 03:38 PM

You can't reasonably expect any developer to continue updating forever.  It's been years since the game came out.  The petition was a nice thought, but only seven people signed it.  Put yourself in my shoes:  make something for seven people, or hundreds of thousands?

#28 nascarlaser1

nascarlaser1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:06 PM

RobbyZ/sim9 (not sure what to call you on the forums :P) has a point. Why update for X amount of people, when he can do something for XXX amount of people (X stands for digits). If you don't like the game, leave and stop your arguments. If you like the game, stay and be positive like me. Why waste time and your breath arguing, when you could do something productive, like build a new building in 8bit and look at it on 9bit?

-Linus from snoopy.

#29 Starmanfan

Starmanfan

Pixel Pistol Perfect

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:42 AM

You can't reasonably expect any developer to continue updating forever.  It's been years since the game came out.  The petition was a nice thought, but only seven people signed it.  Put yourself in my shoes:  make something for seven people, or hundreds of thousands?

or zero

Great job once again for removing chris's messages because clearly he had nothing valuable to say.

Oh wait...

Kralereth Starmanfan Font

#30 TheGreatOnion

TheGreatOnion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 10:08 AM

You can't reasonably expect any developer to continue updating forever. It's been years since the game came out. The petition was a nice thought, but only seven people signed it. Put yourself in my shoes: make something for seven people, or hundreds of thousands?

I hope this is read in its entirety, because this will likely be my last post.

I wanted to stay out of this discussion (and the game for that matter) as much as I possibly could. The game cannot recover at this point, the grave's been dug and I think we can all agree on that. However, I feel there's something that needs to be cleared up and it's something that has greatly bothered me for a while now.

You're referring to the word "updates" as a singular term, something that takes a great amount of commitment to accomplish on any long interval of time. Hence why you consider updates to have no significant effect on the player count. However, I will attest that updating the game is largely irrelevant to its financial position in at least one respect. I attended the Novemberbit stream last year and I can attest that implementing a single free block into the game files takes a very trivial amount of time and money. Now I cannot expect you as the developer to compound this simple action perpetually, but what has disappointed much of the community is the lack of such an inexcusably small addition to the game for a very long time.

All the community wants is something simple. Maybe a new building block or megamap update. And as far as forum posts are concerned, you designated the word "update" as a singular term grouped under the same umbrella as more sophisticated game implements. The community hasn't been asking for more plat items, economic overhaul, transponder matches, or a player-run database with copy/paste pre-configured houses. It hasn't even been asking for more doors or boxes. These updates are certainly welcome, but by no means the main area of emphasis.

This is the main reason why the logic in your argument is severely flawed. You're categorizing all updates by a single image and expounding upon the fruitless plight of pursuing them. By doing this, you're degrading the value of updates altogether instead of carefully analyzing the value of each individual one from a cost-benefit perspective (e.g. raising income with a patreon system that amends but adds no new content to the actual game). If you're forming an argument around metrics, then you haven't been openly telling the community the full breadth of your logic. You've simply employed circular reasoning to rebound the rhetoric back to your main point.

From your older post regarding updates, you claimed the community was looking at the scope of an entirely new game and used this as the premise for your reasoning. This is the 8bit community, not the RobbyZ fan club. You cannot expect players to vehemently follow you with each new game because ultimately, what attracted players to 8bitmmo in the first place is what will keep them here. In the same way a homeowner tries to fit an old key into a new lock, you've created an open expectation that players will suddenly understand everything and find compatibility with something new. So unless I am mistaken, you have merely presented a general argument about updates without considering the possibility that this was not done with the players' best interests in mind.

My Mom once told me a story of a bear who carried some watermelons and dropped each one in an attempt to collect thousands of small seeds. At the end of the day, his hands were full of seeds but he lost all the watermelons. You're welcome to appease the masses and I won't condemn you if that is what you want. But a single act of kindness to seven players is far more meaningful than the same act done for thousands at once. So yes, I do believe I would rather make something for seven people than something for hundreds of thousands. I would crown that achievement because this simple act of philanthropy would spark more hope in their hearts than some promise of a golden age.

I won't berate you by wishing failure upon your next creation. With all due respect however, I must admonish the fact that unless you correct the flaw of your logic, there is no reason to believe that the outcome of your next game will be any different.

#31 RobbyZ

RobbyZ

Administrator

• Developer
  • 1331 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 02:06 AM

I'm sorry I have to give up on 8bit too.  I had some great times with you guys and hope you'll join me on future adventures, but if you don't want to, then I understand too.  I wish all of you the very best.

#32 Morriganna

Morriganna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 02:08 AM

I put myself in your shoes. And I started a project that took over a decade to complete and then I dropped it and shattered it to pieces.

#33 nascarlaser1

nascarlaser1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:07 PM

Great news!! The account used by sim9 to update the megamap was spotted in 8bitmmo today by Grim Master Death!!! YAY!! Sim9 listened to our cries!! (breaks out he party music.)

-Linus from snoopy.

#34 Morriganna

Morriganna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:32 PM

He could use the account to delete the whole game.

#35 Starmanfan

Starmanfan

Pixel Pistol Perfect

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 11:27 PM

He could use the account to delete the whole game.

Well to be fair, if he wanted to delete the game, he'd probably log into sim9.

Nascar is probably referring to autocap.

However, just because he used the account doesn't mean he's updating. 

And if he was by chance, it would have been incredibly stupid as he could have done it, y'know... days before this. 

Kralereth Starmanfan Font

#36 doodleman

doodleman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 09:51 PM

I'm sorry I have to give up on 8bit too.  I had some great times with you guys and hope you'll join me on future adventures, but if you don't want to, then I understand too.  I wish all of you the very best.

Are you still doing 9bit though? :( 

Having the game focus more on building between 8+9bit modes could be its selling point. I haven't seen another building game where you can change modes like that. 

#37 RobbyZ

RobbyZ

Administrator

• Developer
  • 1331 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:34 AM

Are you still doing 9bit though? :(

Not doing anything on anything right now.  :(

#38 nascarlaser1

nascarlaser1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 01:31 PM

I have an Idea on how everyone can get a big win. RobbyZ, would you be willing to release the source code of 8bitmmo (you can keep 9bitmmo I guess... not sure how that would work.)?  That way, you no longer have the responsibility of keeping it alive, you can work on your new game, and someone else who has coding skills (not me btw) can take over 8bitmmo. If a mod/veteran were to take it over (or heck, anyone who has played for longer then 2 days lol), they would know what kinds of things would make the game good, and make the game bad. This way, the game doesn't get abandoned, nor do you have to put up with people constantly complaining to you, and we can make sure that nobody ruins the game.

-Linus from snoopy.

#39 RobbyZ

RobbyZ

Administrator

• Developer
  • 1331 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:08 AM

would you be willing to release the source code of 8bitmmo

No

#40 bumchin

bumchin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:59 PM

Again, updates have not led to increased player count.  There is no reason to think that this will suddenly change after years of data shows otherwise.

What will lead to a revitalized community is a new game.

Dude, this is your most successful game. And you know that, I don't really know why you're not nourishing it as much as you should. The reason why people are frustrated is that nothing new has been added, if you added in something, it would've kept this community together. But then again we have no influence and it's up to you to decide whether you want a thriving game and a good community. Even if you say that you're losing buck, I'm sure with a very good update, people would consider using the patreon stuff.

bumchin               furychin

[17:46] <@EightBitMMO> [GLOBAL] <bumchin> selling kidney's 1k each

[17:46] <@EightBitMMO> <Waldin> kidney0s?
                                 [17:47] <@EightBitMMO> <bumchin> The ones you harvest out of people >;D