Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

A Plea for Replay Value

8bitmmoiskill boringashell communityisgoodtho

Best Answer ScarecrowAtMidnight , 09 January 2016 - 07:32 PM

What you said, sim, was excellent. It was truthful, and I applaud you for it. However... one thing's bugging me.

But I don't want to end up with getting Minecraft comparisons.

Why? Why are you afraid of being compared to Minecraft? It's a fine game. Just because it got popular doesn't mean that being compared to it makes your game wrong somehow. Sure, some games are so much like it that's it's ridiculous, but 8bitMMO and Minecraft are so fundamentally different that a couple mechanics are not a thing that should be exclusive to Minecraft and Minecraft only.

Go to the full post

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#21 RobbyZ

RobbyZ

Administrator

• Developer
  • 1331 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:02 PM

The scope of features you guys are talking about is basically a whole new game.  Which is... fine.  8BitMMO has been publicly playable for... almost five years now?  It's stabilized and matured.  The fact that it's soon entering its fifth year as a publicly playable indie game and that there are still people playing it is nothing short of amazing, in my opinion.  Heck, how many big budget MMOs have launched and shut down in that time?  How many AAA games have 100% empty lobbies after five years (or five months)?  And we're still here!  People complain about smaller user counts, but this is still a larger number than we had for the first two years before the Steam launch.  That's kind of crazy and awesome.

Anyway, I think people are at the point where what they really want is a substantially new experience.  This isn't a add a couple of new items or add a new mode, it's a new game.  And it's been almost five years, that's probably a fair request.

But a new game isn't going to happen overnight.  I do think 9BitMMO is the start of whatever that new experience is.  Maybe it even ends up being radically different from 8BitMMO.  Maybe it's the same monetization, or maybe it's more like EVE (monthly subscription) or Guild Wars (one time purchase).  Ultimately it has to get paid for somehow, which isn't popular, but is a tough reality.  Does it have crafting?  Maybe.  I liked making a tech tree in MOI, so it's possible.  But I don't want to end up with getting Minecraft comparisons.  I think the key is figuring out what is new and unique about this possible new game versus all the other games that already exist, and building from that.  And then, how is it being financed?  The server fundraiser keeps the machines running, but it doesn't cover my rent -- so at a certain point I either need to look at external financing or doing some contract work for a bit.  Such are the realities that almost every indie dev faces.

These are not small questions, it's going to take a long while to figure them out.  And lest this post cause a panic or be misconstrued, 8BitMMO will continue to receive support.  These are long term musings

#22 CD87

CD87

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:34 PM

Gotta agree and disagree with some points.

Agree: It's true that the game updating speed is pretty slow while comparing to other (MMO) games. And i also agree with abt about the high population on Steam, but not actual in-game. Watching around 30-50 new people everyday, and they just come and go with/without saying a single word. And yeah, the community here is nice (My first thought when entering this game)

Disagree: Although the population keep increasing, 40% of them are swag kids who always skip dialogs in tutorial/quest - by spamming E (That's why their questions are sometimes stupid: How to sword? How to open doors?). Others aren't really imaginative and they just quit when they run out of ideas. (Meanwhile in other building games like Minecraft they can have 100+ plans in their mind)

=> New theorem: No imagination & creative minds = 90% chance of quitting

This is really a potential game (For being able to create anything you like - from a piece of art to a giant event), but without you guys' helps and Robby's work, this game should have died a long time ago, not in the future, and not now.

Tips if you want to help the game (Also come up with some works to do if you're bored):

+ Hosting minigames (Doorspleef, roll,....) and try to encourage new players to play.

+ Creating new minigames (Maybe based on other popular games. Ex: L4D2)

+ Creating events (If it's big enough, then it'll be on the news)

+ Helping new players more

+ Setting up goals in order to prevent you from quitting (One of my goals is to wait for shcky to leave before i do lol) and keeping making new ones while you finish one goal.

+ Chatting with others (That works for me - making it less boring by telling jokes)

+ ..... Your suggestion(s)

Thanks for reading and hope i can meet you someday in-game

@CD87

5JAvWIK.png    64x64_Bloodshed_20ks_badge.png

Name: CD87

Birthday: Unknown

Favorite item: KEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Special ability: Can troll anyone, even Sim9

Gold count: Well, i'm poor :(

#23 SneakySneakers

SneakySneakers

COOL MASTER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1552 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:43 PM

The scope of features you guys are talking about is basically a whole new game.  Which is... fine.  8BitMMO has been publicly playable for... almost five years now?  It's stabilized and matured.  The fact that it's soon entering its fifth year as a publicly playable indie game and that there are still people playing it is nothing short of amazing, in my opinion.  Heck, how many big budget MMOs have launched and shut down in that time?  How many AAA games have 100% empty lobbies after five years (or five months)?  And we're still here!  People complain about smaller user counts, but this is still a larger number than we had for the first two years before the Steam launch.  That's kind of crazy and awesome.

Anyway, I think people are at the point where what they really want is a substantially new experience.  This isn't a add a couple of new items or add a new mode, it's a new game.  And it's been almost five years, that's probably a fair request.

But a new game isn't going to happen overnight.  I do think 9BitMMO is the start of whatever that new experience is.  Maybe it even ends up being radically different from 8BitMMO.  Maybe it's the same monetization, or maybe it's more like EVE (monthly subscription) or Guild Wars (one time purchase).  Ultimately it has to get paid for somehow, which isn't popular, but is a tough reality.  Does it have crafting?  Maybe.  I liked making a tech tree in MOI, so it's possible.  But I don't want to end up with getting Minecraft comparisons.  I think the key is figuring out what is new and unique about this possible new game versus all the other games that already exist, and building from that.  And then, how is it being financed?  The server fundraiser keeps the machines running, but it doesn't cover my rent -- so at a certain point I either need to look at external financing or doing some contract work for a bit.  Such are the realities that almost every indie dev faces.

These are not small questions, it's going to take a long while to figure them out.  And lest this post cause a panic or be misconstrued, 8BitMMO will continue to receive support.  These are long term musings

Wait a minute... 9bitmmo actually more than 8bitmmo in 3D? Can someone confirm?

Btw, unless you live on Venus, you can't compare a day (overnight, well, figuratively) to a year (your total inactivity)

76561198089099494.png 46XWJMu.gif

#24 AlexINF

AlexINF

All the good things have an end.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 05:46 PM

Resuming, 9bitmmo will not run on 8bitmmo servers, and all our work will be destroyed?

up7o4s.jpg

#25 ScarecrowAtMidnight

ScarecrowAtMidnight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 07:32 PM   Best Answer

What you said, sim, was excellent. It was truthful, and I applaud you for it. However... one thing's bugging me.

But I don't want to end up with getting Minecraft comparisons.

Why? Why are you afraid of being compared to Minecraft? It's a fine game. Just because it got popular doesn't mean that being compared to it makes your game wrong somehow. Sure, some games are so much like it that's it's ridiculous, but 8bitMMO and Minecraft are so fundamentally different that a couple mechanics are not a thing that should be exclusive to Minecraft and Minecraft only.

Dire Game Reviewer is not impressed

nJ7LiDl.png?1