Photo
- - - - -

Do you think wilderness cleanup will happen?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 dgood1

dgood1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:08 PM

I posted a suggestion a few days ago and it got me thinking if it's even worth it.

I believe there are 4 sides to the wilderness' story:

• The Chaos is beautiful and is a representation of freedom. Removing it is a great injustice, both to the players who put it there and the purpose of the game. We should just add to it.
  • Leave it as it is. The wilderness is supposed to be a risk. That way, people will believe in investing on a town stone. There's a reason why townstones aren't found in Mystery Boxes.
  • It's a heavy job, but someone has to do it. New players can't use the wilderness if it's all messy. We have a shrinking playerbase as it is.
  • The wilderness looks hideous. Someone with more skill should make it look better. Mod and staff should fix this. At least clear up some space so I can make it better.

So yeah, my idea might be a nice balance because of the limits, but there are BOUND to be people who will complain about stuff going missing.

So I'm thinking people can either help me suggest how this should work, or just share your thoughts on the wilderness.

#2 dgood1

dgood1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:25 PM

I'd wonder where he does that, because I have been spamming the wildepad, and each trip leads to at least 2 messes.

I'll take your word for it though. XDD

====================

Also, I noticed that some players have a town REALLY far away, with a rather clean wilderness. Maybe it's a separate map that wildepad can't reach?

#3 CD87

CD87

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:31 PM

Mods spend a fair amount of time cleaning it. If I remember right Sage went up and down the whole thing to clean iI

I don't know how often Setk cleans up the wild. :P

But i DO know that some mods only do the cleaning up through player's order

That's why the wilderness is nearly a garbage dump, because no newbies (or even familar players) doesn't bother asking something like: "Hey, (name of the mods)! Can you remove this? I need to make a house/dungeon/castle/mansion/pixel art/...."

I spend times traveling through the wilderness, and i just fell like all the ruins are just standing there forever....

5JAvWIK.png    64x64_Bloodshed_20ks_badge.png

Name: CD87

Birthday: Unknown

Favorite item: KEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Special ability: Can troll anyone, even Sim9

Gold count: Well, i'm poor :(

#4 Pika

Pika

God of Deception

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:26 PM

I don't think so because of the dumb rules. It doesn't matter how intrusive it may be, it can be a 3x3 (outlined) house with 1 block on the inside, a roof, and a door, and it can't be removed.

Worst rule ever

#5 RakAD

RakAD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:29 PM

The wilderlands are ment to be dangerous, but as I said in an another thread, towns are usually abandon, making it messy, so I agree with you.

"Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly." - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

#6 madman

madman

best master yi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2505 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:19 AM

I don't know how often Setk cleans up the wild. :P

>setk is not a mod >only mods and devs can remove other peoples blocks in the wilderness.

I posted a suggestion a few days ago and it got me thinking if it's even worth it.

I believe there are 4 sides to the wilderness' story:

• The Chaos is beautiful and is a representation of freedom. Removing it is a great injustice, both to the players who put it there and the purpose of the game. We should just add to it.
  • Leave it as it is. The wilderness is supposed to be a risk. That way, people will believe in investing on a town stone. There's a reason why townstones aren't found in Mystery Boxes.
  • It's a heavy job, but someone has to do it. New players can't use the wilderness if it's all messy. We have a shrinking playerbase as it is.
  • The wilderness looks hideous. Someone with more skill should make it look better. Mod and staff should fix this. At least clear up some space so I can make it better.

So yeah, my idea might be a nice balance because of the limits, but there are BOUND to be people who will complain about stuff going missing.

So I'm thinking people can either help me suggest how this should work, or just share your thoughts on the wilderness.

there are certain guidelines for the mods to removing blocks in the wild. they can only remove blocks that are at least 30 days old and they cant remove complete structures, even if its a random abandoned house. The mods can only clean so fast and with newbies joining and randomly placing blocks down in the wild it just cant stay neat... at least the map =66 wilderness is a lot cleaner (since only lvl 4 and above can get there)

E13smaa.jpgcWYq9I1.png

#7 ZombieGunner3000

ZombieGunner3000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:28 AM

Sim should make a player log which allows other players to remove the inactive (for 6 months) player's blocks in the wild..

#8 madman

madman

best master yi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2505 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:59 AM

Sim should make a player log which allows other players to remove the inactive (for 6 months) player's blocks in the wild..

the reason only mods can remove blocks is cause they are the only ones sim trusts to follow the guidelines. normal players would just randomly remove all the old bloks.

E13smaa.jpgcWYq9I1.png

#9 Setk

Setk

Starts with the same letter as shcky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:35 AM

I don't know how often Setk cleans up the wild. 

Never once.

>setk is not a mod

kekekekekek

Never forget the friends you've made, and the memories you've had.

#10 Kralereth

Kralereth

The Emerald Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1277 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:47 AM

The title of this thread alone is misleading, it implies that wilderness cleanup isn't already happening, and wilderness cleanup is happening, just not fast enough...
FqAuPvV.jpgew5x0uL.png
"I'm just here to watch people die" -TheGreatOnion
"MY SIGT KEY BKORK" -Po2005
"could I end a helping hand?" -Ankos

#11 Etheral

Etheral

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 01:06 PM

I think that the integrity of the map, on one hand, should always be protected. On the other hand, some kind of automated cleanup is absolutely needed if this game expects to exist for another however many years.

So conclusion/suggestion - make places like the wilderness recognized 'zones' and have an automatic scheduled maintenance run every X amount of months on these 'zones' allowing for reinjection of resources, blocks, and room into the map.

Paarthurnax:

"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?"

#12 Sage

Sage

. . .

• Moderators
  • 462 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:59 PM

some kind of automated cleanup is absolutely needed if this game expects to exist for another however many years.

Sim9 has the ability to make another map (as in, another world you can build on) quite easily. So when he feels the time is right for a new one, it will be added.

I personally think that a new map should be added with the Wildepad script applied to it instead. This fixes the Wildepad sending you to not-so-empty spots as well as preventing the amount of junk on =65 (the original map) to get even worse until we can take care of it (clean it). It also opens us up to more places to lay down a townstone that doesn't require level 4 to access.

make places like the wilderness recognized 'zones' and have an automatic scheduled maintenance run every X amount of months on these 'zones' allowing for reinjection of resources, blocks, and room into the map.

This would never work properly. The wilderness actually already has recognized zones, known as regions, and a mod can clean the blocks within that region rather easily. However regions are quite small (16x16 blocks or something close to that), while the entire map is quite big. The reason that an automated system would never work is that it won't be able to distinguish junk from legit constructions. Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's not gold. So the human factor is needed in these situations.

Instead of a different cleaning method, we just need more land in my opinion.

Still doing the hand thing.

#DankClan

#13 madman

madman

best master yi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2505 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 04:29 AM

Sim9 has the ability to make another map (as in, another world you can build on) quite easily. So when he feels the time is right for a new one, it will be added.

I personally think that a new map should be added with the Wildepad script applied to it instead. This fixes the Wildepad sending you to not-so-empty spots and well as preventing the amount of junk on =65 (the original map) to get even worse until we can take care of it (clean it). It also opens us up to more places to lay down a townstone that doesn't require level 4 to access.

This would never work properly. The wilderness actually already has recognized zones, known as regions, and a mod can clean the blocks within that region rather easily. However regions are quite small (16x16 blocks or something close to that), while the entire map is quite big. The reason that an automated system would never work is that it won't be able to distinguish junk from legit constructions. Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's not gold. So the human factor is needed in these situations.

Instead of a different cleaning method, we just need more land in my opinion.

steal the natives lands!

E13smaa.jpgcWYq9I1.png