Photo
- - - - -

Making Bank: Your safe and You

Guide Safe

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 Black_Jack

Black_Jack

Loves white grapes.

• Moderators
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 04:31 AM

A Progressive Guide to Keeping Your Gold Safe

Brought to you by the CEO of the Bank of Spades, Black_Jack

Many players in current times own their own safe, share a safe with a group, or borrow/rent a safe from others. It is common knowledge that if you let others know the password to your safe, there lies a possibility that the gold inside may be taken without your knowledge or permission.

But this guide isn't about that.

There are many places where people keep their safes: near a townstone/publicpad for donations, in the privacy of their homes, or hidden away in a location only they know. My hope is that this guide will help you know if your safe is truly secure.

Most players only access their safes when no other players are around, or only players that they trust are nearby. In the following picture, the space built on the left shows the minimum secure distance that a safe room can be where nobody outside the wall can access your safe. The distance on the right is my personal distance of choice for the extra feeling of security.

g8rzL4d.png

In the picture below, you can see a safe sitting next to me with the /loc showing it to be on z-axis 8.

NL5U9T8.png

This next image shows a telepad sitting at z-axis 312, bringing my character up to z-axis 320. This is the maximum z-axis height distance at which a safe can be accessed. This means the maximum distance between a player and a safe on the z-axis where the safe is still accessible is 312 increments. Ex: Safe is sitting at z-axis 56. A player sitting at z-axis 368 is still able to open the safe, while a player at 376 can not.

YAYWSZI.png

It should be noted that I have tested the reverse of the above with a safe at z-axis 320 and my character at z-axis 8, and I must caution that the safe is still accessible.

I highly discourage storing safes inside any other box than private, as anyone who takes a safe from a town or public box gains ownership, and can use the /safe owneropen command. You may think your townbox is safe, but be wary.

As a citizen of a town, be cautious of placing safes using a set z-axis, as it is possible to lose a safe in the wall, ceiling, or floor of adjacent buildings/structures through an accidental misclick, causing a town official or higher to need to remove blocks for you to retrieve your safe.

When viewing a safe in it's open state, it can be very important to know what the varying levels of "fullness" represent. One very important reason to know what these varying levels are is that when picked up in the open state, safes will only stack if the level of "fullness" is the same visually. Meaning one safe with 200 gold will stack in your inventory with a safe containing 900 gold.

EL5tUNU.png

When placing two safes next to each other, or one on top of the other, take note that the safe closest to you is the one that will be accessed by commands.

SjBQOvn.png

More to come with further testing.

P322zQi.png

#2 asedita1

asedita1

Santa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:58 AM

This next image shows a telepad sitting at z-axis 312, bringing my character up to z-axis 320. This is the maximum z-axis height at which a safe can be accessed.

It should be noted that I have tested the reverse of the above with a safe at z-axis 320 and my character at z-axis 8, and I must caution that the safe is still accessible.

This is actually incredibly helpful information.

Also, is this something that should exist? or should we ask robbyz to look into the vertical range of opening a safe?

#3 SneakySneakers

SneakySneakers

COOL MASTER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1552 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:03 AM

I think the reason you can use items infinitely above you is because we send activation waves from our brains or something.

76561198089099494.png 46XWJMu.gif

#4 Scratso

Scratso

Lord of the Dark, Cold and Sorcery.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1940 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:20 AM

This is helpful information, for if I ever get a safe. :P

7f44484767.png

#5 wherethedrumsat

wherethedrumsat

I have the worst member title ever.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:20 PM

ok thnxs this was helpful.

dq949.gifdq8r6.gif

#6 Zooty

Zooty

princess zooty, a stone cold gangsta

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:22 PM

I never knew that you could open a safe that was far above you.
rrqlql.png

#7 madman

madman

best master yi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2505 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:36 PM

O.o i never knew you could activate a safe from so high up above you! thanks for telling me this! real helpful! another way to keep you gold safe is to keep it in your wallet

E13smaa.jpgcWYq9I1.png

#8 wherethedrumsat

wherethedrumsat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:38 PM

Ok, wait. black jack is an accountant? 

dq949.gifdq8r6.gif

#9 madman

madman

best master yi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2505 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:21 AM

Ok, wait. black jack is an accountant? 

E13smaa.jpgcWYq9I1.png

#10 wherethedrumsat

wherethedrumsat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:49 AM

he's advising us on money and what to do to keep our money safe, pretty much a accountant. dont get me wrong he is a CEO, but he's better at accounting.  

dq949.gifdq8r6.gif

#11 madman

madman

best master yi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2505 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:29 AM

he's advising us on money and what to do to keep our money safe, pretty much a accountant. dont get me wrong he is a CEO, but he's better at accounting.  

accounting just keeps track of ur money and ur annual profit etc. i should know, my mother is an accountant

E13smaa.jpgcWYq9I1.png

#12 Sage

Sage

. . .

• Moderators
  • 462 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:56 AM

This next image shows a telepad sitting at z-axis 312, bringing my character up to z-axis 320. This is the maximum z-axis height at which a safe can be accessed.

I'm almost positive that this is untrue (unless it was changed).

I used to keep my main safe at 7000 z axis (don't ask) and could still open/withdraw/close it. I used my password instead of /owneropen though. So maybe that was the difference?

At that height only command-based items work. So Safes, Fee Doors set at 0g, and the like still worked as far as I remember.

Edit: I just realized what you were saying. Sorry. You mean if you're standing above or below the safe and try opening it. Sorry, your description was kind of vague.

I took it like you meant you cannot access it at all past 320.

Still doing the hand thing.

#DankClan

#13 Black_Jack

Black_Jack

Loves white grapes.

• Moderators
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:30 AM

Edit: I just realized what you were saying. Sorry. You mean if you're standing above or below the safe and try opening it. Sorry, your description was kind of vague.

I took it like you meant you cannot access it at all past 320.

It is my first guide and very much something I will keep editing. If anyone else finds any information that should be added, or could suggest a better way of wording something, just let me know.

P322zQi.png

#14 asedita1

asedita1

Santa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:41 PM

correct me if im wrong, but if you were to place another safe above/below the safe in question it would essentially 'shield' it from being accessed from so far above or below. 

#15 Black_Jack

Black_Jack

Loves white grapes.

• Moderators
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:50 PM

correct me if im wrong, but if you were to place another safe above/below the safe in question it would essentially 'shield' it from being accessed from so far above or below. 

That's one of the next things I had planned on testing, as it was one of my major concerns about having multiple floors in the bank. If someone on the first floor could withdraw gold from the second while inside their vault, that would be a very severe breach in my security.

P322zQi.png

#16 asedita1

asedita1

Santa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:23 PM

i was actually mentioning it as a security measure, you have your safe in a cube big enough to prevent sideways access, and in the roof you put a empty safe.

then when someone trys to access the safe using commands, they will only be able to access the empty one.

#17 Zooty

Zooty

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:27 PM

If you have one safe on the ground and another in the sky, what determines which one you use?

Do you use the closest one?

rrqlql.png

#18 RobbyZ

RobbyZ

Administrator

• Developer
  • 1331 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:14 AM

Oh, hm, the z-height thing might be a bug.  Unless it's useful, and then it's an unplanned feature.

#19 asedita1

asedita1

Santa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:27 AM

Oh, hm, the z-height thing might be a bug. Unless it's useful, and then it's an unplanned feature.

It might be useful in some situations, but i feel that as this knowledge spreads it becomes more of a problem.
If this becomes an issue, where a number of safes have been hacked in this way, then i would have to respond by building a giant silo around my safe and checking everywhere to confirm that no one can access it from the outside. Or i would use the shielding methods that i mentioned earlier in the thread. Either way its a lot of time and/or gold/plat to make sure something that is supposed to be safe, is.
Thats just what i think.

Im also curious, does this range apply to all commands, like /fdo, /telepad # and /publicpad name, or is it unique to safes? Just a thought.

#20 Zooty

Zooty

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:10 AM

Oh, hm, the z-height thing might be a bug.  Unless it's useful, and then it's an unplanned feature.

It's not a bug, it's a feature!
Microsoft has taught you well

rrqlql.png