Photo
- - - - -

Texture Packs In Browser?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 Scratso

Scratso

Lord of the Dark, Cold and Sorcery.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1940 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:04 AM

Right, so we all thought "No... it won't ever work! NEVAAAAAA!" But that's wrong.

I've managed to get the Realism Pack to work in the web browser! :D Unfortunately, java code signing deems it won't work.

If any of you happen to use Icedtea as alternative to Java, http://technomagic.net/mods/realism/ is where you can use it (feel free to ask me to add more mods - suggestions always welcome). But, if using Java, I'm afraid you'll be met with some java security errors and the lot.

And I would rather not have to do this -> <sim9> You would have to learn about java code signing.  It's not easy.

Sim's Comment:

<sim9> neat

:D

So... yeah. Theory broken, texture packs do work in browser if you figure out how to set it up and happen to use Icedtea, instead of the overruling Java.

:)

Image to prove myself honest: B4X9X9t.png

7f44484767.png

#2 Trololo

Trololo

#DankClan

• Moderators
  • 713 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:47 AM

Great! You should make a mod to change all clothing to the fancy clothing lol

jk

UQ6ffjO.png

ai5w06T.pngai5w06T.pngai5w06T.png

#3 ALinkToTheFuture

ALinkToTheFuture

Is actually Zolda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:43 PM

Huh. Not bad. Now figure out an easier way to do it.

h63G4JB.gif                                        A proud supporter of Flying Bananas and Spinning                                 WRq3ojI.gif

#4 Value

Value

rich and glassy

• Moderators
  • 255 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

Neat scratso. I wish sim would just officially add the mod as an ingame option.

#5 Scratso

Scratso

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1940 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:35 PM

Neat scratso. I wish sim would just officially add the mod as an ingame option.

Yeah, that would be cool. I'd still be titled the first to do it :D :P

Huh. Not bad. Now figure out an easier way to do it.

Thanks. :)

Though I'm 100% certain there is no other way to do it lol.

7f44484767.png

#6 ALinkToTheFuture

ALinkToTheFuture

Is actually Zolda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:45 PM

Yeah, that would be cool. I'd still be titled the first to do it :D :P

Excuse you -.^ who's the first to do what?

h63G4JB.gif                                        A proud supporter of Flying Bananas and Spinning                                 WRq3ojI.gif

#7 Scratso

Scratso

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1940 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:01 PM

Excuse you -.^ who's the first to do what?

Yes, you're the first to make a texture pack, but I'm the first to make them work in browser!

(We both have titles, jeez)

7f44484767.png

#8 ALinkToTheFuture

ALinkToTheFuture

Is actually Zolda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:39 PM

Yes, you're the first to make a texture pack, but I'm the first to make them work in browser!

(We both have titles, jeez)

Just so long as we're clear on these things ^_^

#9 Trololo

Trololo

#DankClan

• Moderators
  • 713 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:46 PM

Link is the actual first person to do it, Scratso, without him you would have never made one.

And wouldn't you be able to make a website link to the version of 8bit you would like to play?

Like have generictexturepacknameinstertedhere and be able to play it from the link?

UQ6ffjO.png

#10 Scratso

Scratso

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1940 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:35 PM

Link is the actual first person to do it, Scratso, without him you would have never made one.

And wouldn't you be able to make a website link to the version of 8bit you would like to play?

Like have generictexturepacknameinstertedhere and be able to play it from the link?

1. I noted that and said that. I am well aware I would never have made one, or at least, never made on in the time that these new texture packs were made. It would have likely been at least a year without link.

2. What do you mean? I don't quite understand.

7f44484767.png

#11 Trololo

Trololo

#DankClan

• Moderators
  • 713 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:24 PM

See how you're on 8bit on your website? Can't you make it where you can use the texturepacks on that link of 8bit? And free plats!  :microwav:

UQ6ffjO.png

#12 Value

Value

rich and glassy

• Moderators
  • 255 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:24 PM

If only someone could make texture packs work via a firefox add-on?!

#13 ALinkToTheFuture

ALinkToTheFuture

Is actually Zolda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:22 AM

See, the problem that I've come across with browser based texture packs isn't Java but rather HTML. If you look at the www.8bitmmo.net/play/'s HTML code you'll notice that the page downloads the game files and textures each time you load the page. So if you were able to say, define where the files are being downloaded from before the page loads then you would be able to play with a texturepack in the browser. 

Personally I tried quite a few ways before falling back onto the desktop version all leading to failure. But if you wanted to find a simpler way to do it then I would recommend starting there.

#14 Scratso

Scratso

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1940 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:45 AM

See, the problem that I've come across with browser based texture packs isn't Java but rather HTML. If you look at the www.8bitmmo.net/play/'s HTML code you'll notice that the page downloads the game files and textures each time you load the page. So if you were able to say, define where the files are being downloaded from before the page loads then you would be able to play with a texturepack in the browser. 

Personally I tried quite a few ways before falling back onto the desktop version all leading to failure. But if you wanted to find a simpler way to do it then I would recommend starting there.

... It's simple enough as it is, tbh. You just change where the applet is getting its graphics (assets) from to your texturepack's loc. Plus, the issue does lie with Java - their code signing system makes it not work. Because the applets not being ran from Sim's webserver (at 8bitmmo.net), Java blocks the application cause it doesn't match the signing or something like that. Either way, Java blocks the applet, whereas Icedtea does not block it.

See how you're on 8bit on your website? Can't you make it where you can use the texturepacks on that link of 8bit? And free plats!  :microwav:

Oh, if you mean can I make like a repository/directory of different mods and texturepacks and have different websites running each one - yeah, I can do that. If not, I still don't understand.

And I can't get free plats - plats are handled by simmy and the server.

7f44484767.png

#15 madman

madman

best master yi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2505 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:39 AM

dang! i really wish there was a way for it to be used on browser without using icedtea! but congrats on making mods usable on browser!

E13smaa.jpgcWYq9I1.png

#16 Scratso

Scratso

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1940 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:16 AM

dang! i really wish there was a way for it to be used on browser without using icedtea! but congrats on making mods usable on browser!

Thanks. :)

7f44484767.png

#17 Zooty

Zooty

princess zooty, a stone cold gangsta

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:05 PM

8BitMMO doesn't work with me and Icedtea web plugin

(Arch & Debian x86_64, Chromium)

Yeah, that would be cool. I'd still be titled the first to do it :D :PThanks. :)Though I'm 100% certain there is no other way to do it lol.

There's a way to do everything, we just don't know it yet.
rrqlql.png

#18 RobbyZ

RobbyZ

Administrator

• Developer
  • 1331 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:21 PM

Neat

#19 Scratso

Scratso

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1940 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:33 AM

8BitMMO doesn't work with me and Icedtea web plugin

(Arch & Debian x86_64, Chromium)

There's a way to do everything, we just don't know it yet.

I use Icedtea (gave up on Java - terrible Linux assistance)

Not sure why it won't work for you, I'm using Debian x64, so...

you sure you went to http://technomagic.net/mods/realism ?

7f44484767.png

#20 AlexINF

AlexINF

All the good things have an end.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:02 AM

AWESOME! I will use it! Now i'm your fan! :)

scratso, put the photo of my town (tele rare and then go to the fountain tele) IT'S AWESOME GRAPHICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!11111!one!