Photo

Ello Everyone!

Linux

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 AuToFiRE

AuToFiRE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:47 AM

Hi Everybody!

I have finally gotten around to installing 8BitMMO on Linux. I am a strong believer that Linux is the future of gaming and as such I will be heavily active in providing support and bug reporting on the Linux end for this game. I will always be using the latest kernel build to provide the latest and most up-to-date information and bug reporting. Currently I am using v3.14.4 and if RobbyZ reads this, I hope to work as closely as I can with you to provide the best information and bug fixes in the most timely manner, that is if you do not mind me posting bug fixes here. 

It will be a pleasure to get to know all of you, both ingame and out.

Game on, friends. 

NpPGN4H.gif

#2 Scratso

Scratso

Lord of the Dark, Cold and Sorcery.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1940 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:59 AM

Welcome! I'm sure Robby would be happy if you posted bug reports here, and how to fix them. :)

7f44484767.png

#3 Thanatos Hades

Thanatos Hades

n00b

• Moderators
  • 359 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:02 PM

Welcome welcome. I hope you find the game enjoyable and thank you for your support.

#4 KennyKush

KennyKush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:00 PM

Welcome to the game, AuToFiRE, I'm new here as well. It's good to see that this game has an expanding community. I look forward to playing with you all.
Never trust anyone, even your own mother could sell you out.

#5 RobbyZ

RobbyZ

Administrator

• Developer
  • 1331 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:48 PM

Welcome :)

#6 AuToFiRE

AuToFiRE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:40 PM

@Scratso Thank you! I hope he will. I hope with helping out around here I will be able to expand my knowledge on many subjects as all of you seem to be rather smart and my type of crowd.

@Thanatos Hades I most certainly will! On the rainy days where I can't bike the 20km to college and I end up having to take the bus, I end up there about 2 hours before my classes, this game will most certainly be played every day. And since this game is being offered for free, I feel it only fair that I at least contribute to the game in some form or another, to make it better for all.

@KennyKush Hope to form a guild of ultimate power with you. :P

@abt79 Bonjour!

@RobbyZ It is a pleasure to finally meet the Infamous RobbyZ. I do have a couple questions about the rules around here as I haven't seen a Rule thread anywhere. I know the universal rules of forums and games, but what about more in the grey area? What do you allow or disallow that would vary from game to game, forum to forum?

NpPGN4H.gif

#7 Scratso

Scratso

Lord of the Dark, Cold and Sorcery.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1940 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:49 PM

Very nice, you replied to each of us clearly and in turn. Sometimes when Robby is hard to get hold of, I would mention that moderators have a good knowledge of the rules, so at least most if not all rules can be discussed with them.

7f44484767.png

#8 Zooty

Zooty

princess zooty, a stone cold gangsta

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:53 PM

@RobbyZ It is a pleasure to finally meet the Infamous RobbyZ. I do have a couple questions about the rules around here as I haven't seen a Rule thread anywhere. I know the universal rules of forums and games, but what about more in the grey area? What do you allow or disallow that would vary from game to game, forum to forum?

Can I sell Windows 8 license keys for 8BitMMO gold?

rrqlql.png

#9 AuToFiRE

AuToFiRE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:56 PM

Very nice, you replied to each of us clearly and in turn. Sometimes when Robby is hard to get hold of, I would mention that moderators have a good knowledge of the rules, so at least most if not all rules can be discussed with them.

Im quite OCD like that. I feel if someone takes the time to click reply and type a message, they at least deserve to get a response lol

Its not so much about the written rules, but the unspoken ones as each community develops its own unique personality

@Zooty Ill give you 20 credit card numbers for some gold :P

NpPGN4H.gif

#10 Zooty

Zooty

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:59 PM

Im quite OCD like that. I feel if someone takes the time to click reply and type a message, they at least deserve the time to get a response lol

Its not so much about the written rules, but the unspoken ones.

@Zooty Ill give you 20 credit card numbers for some gold :P

If you try to card something like Windows, the license key gets terminated after a while.

"this product key is banned"/10

would not recommend 

:(

rrqlql.png

#11 AuToFiRE

AuToFiRE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:05 PM

If you try to card something like Windows, the license key gets terminated after a while.

"this product key is banned"/10

would not recommend 

:(

I just use Windows Loader, I don't even bother with license keys. Microshaft doesn't deserve my money.

NpPGN4H.gif

#12 AuToFiRE

AuToFiRE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:43 AM

Hullo.

By the way..why use Linux when you can use good old Windows?

Windows suffers from something called "Windows rot" which is basically over time the OS starts getting more and more unstable until it basically becomes unusable due to loading times, BSoDs, virii, spyware, malware, etc. Whereas on Linux, this type of thing does not happen. A 15 year old computer running Linux will be just as fast as it was when it was originally installed as it is when the computer is retired due to the hardware giving out or just because the hardware has become so outdated it is no longer viable to run due to its high energy consumption. 

Linux also has a much smaller resource footprint in comparison to windows. Windows will use upwards of 30% of your total resources(RAM, CPU) compared to 2% on Linux. That extra 28% can go directly to running intensive applications such as games. Now, imagine GTAIV with its photorealism (Which my Deskie can do at a solid 60fps on windows) can do with an additional 28% processing power.

wIzuVc6.jpg

NpPGN4H.gif

#13 Dragonslayerwei

Dragonslayerwei

[insert member title]

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:55 AM

Welcome autofire! Hope you find this game enjoyable!!
T2kLfVR.gifjOCYRUZ.pngjOCYRUZ.png

#14 AuToFiRE

AuToFiRE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:04 AM

Welcome autofire! Hope you find this game enjoyable!!

I definitely will, good sir!

NpPGN4H.gif

#15 Zooty

Zooty

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:18 AM

Hullo.

By the way..why use Linux when you can use good old Windows?

Reasons to use Windows

• Watch Dogs and other games not on Linux, but this is changing and more and more games are coming to Linux

Reasons not to use Windows

• Proprietary
  • Uses lots of system resources, even with nothing open.
  • Costs money
  • Hard to customized
  • Probably more

rrqlql.png

#16 AuToFiRE

AuToFiRE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:29 PM

It still works, but it is probably drawing more power than my $4000 PC

NpPGN4H.gif

#17 Zooty

Zooty

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:45 AM

Watch Doges is a loose example right now, people are pissed that the graphics weren't as promised what they were from E3. PC isn't getting as much out of it because it was geared towards consoles more. Also the story is supposedly really bland. You could use a better example than that.

That's just uplay being crappy.

I torrented it, I don't need uplay and the game runs perfectly at max settings on my rather old graphics cards.

rrqlql.png

#18 AuToFiRE

AuToFiRE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:54 PM

That's just uplay being crappy.

I torrented it, I don't need uplay and the game runs perfectly at max settings on my rather old graphics cards.

I find it absolutely hilarious when console peasants assume you have to replace the graphics card every year, or constantly upgrade. My Radeon 6990 is 5 years old now, I paid $500 for it and it has made me money through bitcoin mining(15 BTC in one month). I only stopped because at the time they were worth less than $10/ea and I was getting $600/m electricity bills which there was no possible way I could afford.

Ive been modding GTAIV, quite heavily recently, and Im not even using 2gb of my 16gb of RAM and about 1.5gb of my 4gb of VRAM and its near photorealism at well above 100fps. I have yet to find a PC game that even remotely challenges my PC. Im hoping Star Citizen will..

@abt Windows is a horrendous pain in the arse compared to Linux. Yeah Linux requires a little bit more work if you want to do the advanced stuff like get the absolute most out of your hardware by unlocking the diagnostics modes of the hardware allowing you to do insane things like unlocking channels 12+ on wifi(illegal in north america and can get you fined $5000/day), even using the square reader to hack credit cards via the headphone jack. Once you get Linux going, customized to your liking, you can use remastersys to turn all your work into a re-distributable operating system. 

NpPGN4H.gif

#19 Zooty

Zooty

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:30 PM

I find it absolutely hilarious when console peasants assume you have to replace the graphics card every year, or constantly upgrade. My Radeon 6990 is 5 years old now, I paid $500 for it and it has made me money through bitcoin mining(15 BTC in one month). I only stopped because at the time they were worth less than $10/ea and I was getting $600/m electricity bills which there was no possible way I could afford.

Ive been modding GTAIV, quite heavily recently, and Im not even using 2gb of my 16gb of RAM and about 1.5gb of my 4gb of VRAM and its near photorealism at well above 100fps. I have yet to find a PC game that even remotely challenges my PC. Im hoping Star Citizen will..

@abt Windows is a horrendous pain in the arse compared to Linux. Yeah Linux requires a little bit more work if you want to do the advanced stuff like get the absolute most out of your hardware by unlocking the diagnostics modes of the hardware allowing you to do insane things like unlocking channels 12+ on wifi(illegal in north america and can get you fined $5000/day), even using the square reader to hack credit cards via the headphone jack. Once you get Linux going, customized to your liking, you can use remastersys to turn all your work into a re-distributable operating system. 

Wow, $5000 a day?

My router goes up to channel 14.

rrqlql.png

#20 AuToFiRE

AuToFiRE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:19 PM

DD-WRT is awesome for that. Ill never buy another router that doesnt support it. I just wish I had the money for a rackmount router

NpPGN4H.gif